Is Generic Alesse Available?
(levonorgestrel/ethinyl estradiol) is one of the many oral contraceptives
(birth control pills
) available. It belongs to a group of medications known as combined oral contraceptives, named because they contain a combination of two different types of hormones.
Alesse is made by Wyeth Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Generic Alesse is available, although it is sold under what looks like other brand names, rather than the usual generic name.
Names for Generic Alesse
Currently, generic Alesse is sold under the following names:
- Aviane® (made by Barr Pharmaceuticals, Inc.)
- Falmina™ (made by Novast Laboratories)
- Levonorgestrel and Ethinyl Estradiol (made by Lupin Pharmaceuticals, Inc.)
- Lutera™ (made by Watson Pharmaceuticals, Inc.)
- Orsythia™ (made by Patheon, Inc., for Qualitest Pharmaceuticals USA).
The generic names of birth control pills can be confusing; the names are long, and several different products can have the same generic name, even though they are different. To avoid confusion, manufacturers of generic birth control pills
often give their versions a "brand name," instead of using the standard generic name. These products are still generics, even though they seem like brand-name products, due to their names.