Only very short studies have evaluated the effectiveness of benzphetamine. In these studies, people taking the medication lost more weight than those not taking it, but the difference was small (only a fraction of a pound more per week for the people taking benzphetamine). Studies also suggest that the effects on weight loss decreased after the first few weeks.
When and How to Take It
Some general considerations for when and how to take benzphetamine include the following:
- This medicine comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth one to three times daily.
- You can take benzphetamine on an empty stomach or with food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Benzphetamine should be combined with an appropriate diet. It is not meant to be used without dieting.
- Do not take this drug more often or at higher doses than prescribed, as this can lead to addiction or dependence.
- For benzphetamine to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
Who Makes Benzphetamine?
Benzphetamine is made by Pfizer, Inc.
Benzphetamine tablets come in one strength -- benzphetamine 50 mg.
Is There a Generic Version?
Currently, both brand-name and generic versions of benzphetamine are licensed for sale (see Generic Didrex)