An Introduction to Side Effects of Benzphetamine
As with any medicine, side effects are possible with benzphetamine
). However, not everyone who takes the medication will experience side effects. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. In most cases, side effects occur when too much benzphetamine is taken.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with benzphetamine. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of benzphetamine side effects with you.)
Side Effects of Benzphetamine to Report
There are a number of side effects with benzphetamine that you should report to your healthcare provider. These include, but are not limited to:
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- A rapid heart rate (tachycardia)
- Feelings of a rapidly or forcefully beating heart (known as heart palpitations)
- More outgoing or aggressive behavior than normal
- Strange behavior
- Signs and symptoms of pulmonary hypertension, such as:
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Water retention in the legs, ankles, or feet
- Hallucinations (seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not really there)
- Agitation or restlessness
- A desire or need to take benzphetamine more frequently (or at a higher dose) than prescribed.
- Signs of an allergic reaction, including:
- An unexplained rash
- Unexplained swelling
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing.