What If I Miss a Dose of Conjugated Estrogens Vaginal Cream?
If you do not take your conjugated estrogens
vaginal cream as scheduled, take your missed dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and continue with your regular schedule. Do not double your dose.
How Does Conjugated Estrogens Vaginal Cream Work?
Conjugated estrogens vaginal cream is a mixture of natural equine (horse) estrogens. It helps relieve menopausal symptoms by replacing estrogen that the ovaries no longer produce. It is a good alternative to hormone replacement therapy
taken by mouth, especially in women who only have vaginal menopausal symptoms. It should be noted that a significant amount of conjugated estrogens vaginal cream is absorbed into the bloodstream, and many of the risks associated with oral hormone replacement therapy are expected to occur with conjugated estrogens vaginal cream as well.
When and How to Use Conjugated Estrogens Vaginal Cream
General considerations for when and how to use conjugated estrogens vaginal cream include the following:
- The medication comes in a tube, along with an applicator that can measure between 0.5 grams to 2 grams of the cream (in 0.5-gram increments).
- Women are often advised to use conjugated estrogens vaginal cream cyclically, such as three weeks on and one week off.
- Your conjugated estrogens vaginal cream package comes with detailed instructions on how to use the cream using the enclosed applicator.
- You can take apart the applicator and wash it with mild soap and water. However, do not boil it or use hot water.
- Many women find it easiest to use conjugated estrogens vaginal cream at night, just before bedtime, to help prevent it from leaking out of the vagina. However, you can use conjugated estrogens vaginal cream at any time of the day that works best for you.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.