What Are Conjugated Estrogens?
"Conjugated estrogens" is a term used to describe certain specific blends of estrogen hormones that are used in a few different hormone replacement therapy
medications. Conjugated estrogens, whether they are taken from horses or made from plant sources, are not identical to natural human estrogens.
Products Containing Conjugated Estrogens
The following products contain conjugated estrogens:
- Premarin® -- conjugated estrogens from horse sources
- Premarin Vaginal Cream -- a vaginal cream that contains Premarin
- Prempro™ -- Premarin plus medroxyprogesterone, a progestin hormone
- Premphase® -- Premarin plus cyclic medroxyprogesterone, a progestin hormone (only the last half of each cycle's tablets contain the progestin)
- Cenestin® -- a blend of synthetic (manufactured) conjugated estrogens using plant sources
- Enjuvia® -- another blend of synthetic conjugated estrogens from plant sources.
(Click the following links for more information about the uses of the various conjugated estrogens products: