An Introduction to Dosing With Dysport
The dosage of Dysport®
) your healthcare provider recommends will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The condition being treated
- How you respond to Dysport
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As always, do not adjust this amount unless your healthcare provider specifically tells you to do so.
Dysport Dosage for Head and Neck Spasms
The starting recommended Dysport dose for treating head and neck spasms (known medically as cervical dystonia) is 500 units divided among the affected muscles. The effects usually last for three or four months, after which the injections will need to be repeated. If necessary, the dosage may be increased, usually in increments of 250 units.
Dose for Wrinkles
Dysport is approved to treat "frown lines" between the eyebrows. The recommended dose to treat these kinds of wrinkles is 50 units of the drug, given as 5 injections of 10 units each, in specific areas above and between the eyebrows. The cosmetic effect of Dysport usually lasts for three to four months, after which the injections will need to be repeated in order to maintain the desired effects.
General Dosing Information
Considerations to keep in mind when taking Dysport include the following:
- The recommended dosage for Dysport is different from the recommended Botox® dosage or Xeomin® dosage, even though all three medications contain botulinum toxin type A. A Dysport dose cannot be compared or converted to a Botox or Xeomin dose.
- The medication comes in injectable form. It is delivered directly into the muscles that are causing the problems. When treating severe sweating, Dysport is injected directly into the underarm.
- Your healthcare provider may choose to use an anesthetic cream to numb your skin, but this is not necessary. If you are worried about pain, ask your healthcare provider about using an anesthetic cream.
- The effects of Dysport are not permanent. You will need to receive injections periodically in order to maintain the drug's effects.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to Dysport dosing, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.