Advertisement

Dysport Overdose

The effects of an overdose with Dysport (abobotulinumtoxinA) can take weeks to develop; they can also vary in intensity. Some of the possible symptoms include general weakness, muscle paralysis, blurred vision, and loss of bladder control. An antitoxin may be used for this type of overdose, and treatment will likely involve supportive care as well.

Can You Take Too Much Dysport?

Dysport® (abobotulinumtoxinA) is a prescription medication approved to treat certain types of wrinkles and muscle spasms. The effects of an overdose will vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Dysport dosage and whether it was taken by injection or by accidental ingestion.
If you happen to overdose on Dysport, seek medical attention right away.

Symptoms of a Dysport Overdose

Taking too much Dysport (either by injection or by mouth) can cause muscle paralysis and general weakness. Depending on several factors, the effects may be minor or quite severe. In addition, it can take several weeks for the full effects of the overdose to develop.
Signs of spreading of the toxin effect (a condition known as botulism) include:
  • Muscle weakness all over the body
  • Double vision
  • Blurred vision
  • Droopy eyelids
  • Voice changes
  • Speech problems
  • Loss of bladder control
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Difficulty swallowing.

Treating an Overdose With Dysport

An antitoxin is available for people who have overdose on Dysport. It works best if it is used quickly after the overdose.
Treatment will also involve supportive care. This consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For instance, if taking too much Dysport caused paralysis of the respiratory muscles, a breathing tube or other measures may be necessary.
Last reviewed by: Kristi Monson, PharmD
Advertisement
9 Signs You May Have Inattentive Type Adult ADHD