An Introduction to Dysport Side Effects
As with all medications, side effects are possible with Dysport®
). However, not everyone who receives the medicine will have problems. In fact, most people tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or are treated easily by you or your healthcare provider.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Dysport. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Dysport side effects with you.)
Common Side Effects of Dysport
Dysport has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the side effects that occurred in a group of people given Dysport were documented and compared to those that occurred in a similar group of people given a placebo (an injection with no active ingredient). This way, it is possible to see what side effects occurred, how often they appeared, and how they compare to the group receiving the placebo.
In studies using Dysport for cosmetic use (to improve the appearance of lines between the eyebrows), common side effects included:
- Symptoms of the common cold, such as a runny nose and sore throat -- in up to 10 percent of people
- Headache -- up to 9 percent
- Upper respiratory tract infection -- up to 3 percent
- Pain at the injection site -- up to 3 percent
- Skin reaction at the injection site -- up to 3 percent
- Swollen eyelids -- up to 2 percent
- Droopy eyelids -- up to 2 percent
- Nausea -- up to 2 percent
- Sinus infection -- up to 2 percent
- Blood in the urine -- up to 2 percent.
In studies using Dysport to treat cervical dystonia (a condition involving muscle spasms of the head and neck), the most common side effects included:
- Muscle weakness -- in up to 56 percent of people
- Dry mouth -- up to 39 percent
- Difficulty swallowing -- up to 39 percent
- Voice change -- up to 28 percent
- Discomfort at the injection site -- up to 22 percent
- Eye "disorders" (such as blurred vision or droopy eyelids) -- up to 17 percent
- Fatigue -- up to 12 percent
- Impaired facial movement -- up to 11 percent
- Headache -- up to 11 percent.