Advertisement

Levonorgestrel-Releasing Intrauterine System Overdose

Because levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system is inserted by your healthcare provider and slowly releases the hormone, it is not likely that someone would overdose on it. At this time, there have not been any reported cases of an overdose. Even when large amounts of the hormone in this intrauterine device are taken by mouth, they do not appear to cause any serious problems.

Can You Use Too Much Levonorgestrel-Releasing Intrauterine System?

Levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system (Mirena®, Skyla™) is a type of contraception that is placed in the uterus, where it releases the progestin hormone levonorgestrel. The device can remain in the uterus for up to three or five years (depending on the actual product you use) and provides birth control for the entire time. It is very unlikely that you would overdose on this medication. 
 

Effects of an Overdose

It is not entirely known what to expect from an overdose with the levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system. There have been no reported cases of an overdose. The contraceptive device is placed in the uterus by a healthcare provider. Once in the uterus, it releases a small amount of levonorgestrel in a controlled way. Because of these things, an overdose is unlikely to occur.
 
Levonorgestrel, the hormone released by the device, is a progestin hormone found in several birth control pills. Even when taken by mouth, large doses of levonorgestrel do not usually cause serious problems.
 

Treatment Options for a Levonorgestrel-Releasing Intrauterine System Overdose

If an overdose with levonorgestrel-releasing intrauterine system is suspected, the device will be removed. This will stop the release of the hormone.
 
If treatment is needed, it would likely involve supportive care, which consists of treating any symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For example, if high doses were causing nausea and vomiting, medicines may be given to help relieve these side effects. 
 
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have received too much of this medication.
Last reviewed by: Kristi Monson, PharmD
Advertisement
9 Signs You May Have Inattentive Type Adult ADHD