Advertisement

Lo/Ovral Overdose

If you accidentally take too much Lo/Ovral, overdose symptoms may include nausea, vomiting, and vaginal bleeding or menstrual changes (in females). No serious problems were reported in cases where young children overdosed on birth control pills like Lo/Ovral. Overdose treatment will most likely include supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose.

Lo/Ovral Overdose: An Overview

Lo/Ovral® (norgestrel/ethinyl estradiol) is a prescription-only oral contraceptive (birth control pill). The effects of a Lo/Ovral overdose are typically not dangerous, but may vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Lo/Ovral dosage and whether it was taken with any other substances, medications, or street drugs.
If you happen to overdose on Lo/Ovral, seek immediate medical attention.
(Lo/Ovral is equivalent to Cryselle®, Elinest™, and Low-Ogestrel® birth control pills. The information in this article also applies to each of these medications.)

Symptoms of a Lo/Ovral Overdose

In cases of children accidentally taking large doses of birth control pills, no serious problems have been reported. Just as with any birth control pill, an overdose with Lo/Ovral may cause nausea and vomiting. In females (even young girls), an overdose could also cause vaginal bleeding or other menstrual changes.

Treatment for a Lo/Ovral Overdose

It is not known how to best treat a Lo/Ovral overdose. Therefore, treatment (if necessary) will likely involve supportive care, which consists of treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. In many cases, treatment may not be necessary, although medical attention is still necessary to rule out any problems.
Even though a Lo/Ovral overdose is unlikely to cause serious problems, you should still seek prompt medical attention if you believe that you or someone else may have taken too much Lo/Ovral.
Last reviewed by: Kristi Monson, PharmD
Advertisement
9 Signs You May Have Inattentive Type Adult ADHD