Advertisement

Lysteda Overdose

Taking an overdose of Lysteda (oral tranexamic acid) could result in vomiting, blood clots, and low blood pressure, among other serious symptoms. Therefore, it's important to get help right away if you think you or someone else may have taken too much. Supportive care (treating the symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose) is the likely course for this type of overdose.

Can You Take Too Much Lysteda?

Lysteda™ (oral tranexamic acid) is a prescription medication that inhibits the breakdown of blood clots. It is used to treat heavy menstrual bleeding. It is possible to overdose on Lysteda. The specific effects can vary, depending on a number of factors, including the Lysteda dosage and whether it was taken with any other medications or substances.

Symptoms of a Lysteda Overdose

An overdose of Lysteda may cause various symptoms, such as:
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Low blood pressure (hypotension), especially when standing suddenly
  • Blood clots
  • Vision problems
  • Changes in mental function
  • Muscle twitching
  • Rash.

What Are the Treatment Options?

Treatment will mostly involve supportive care, which consists of managing symptoms that occur as a result of the overdose. For instance, if the Lysteda overdose caused blood clots, treatment with anticoagulants will be recommended.
It is important that you seek medical attention immediately if you believe that you or someone else may have taken too much Lysteda.
Last reviewed by: Kristi Monson, PharmD
Advertisement
Feed Your Adult ADHD Brain