Women Home > Yaz
Effects of YazYaz was shown to be an effective birth control method in a large clinical trial. In this study, for every 100 women who used the drug for a year, one or two became pregnant. This is very effective, compared to many other methods of contraception. For instance, up to 14 percent of women using condoms for a year will become pregnant. Studies have also shown that Yaz is effective for treating the symptoms of premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD) and for treating acne.
- The medication comes in tablet form. It is taken by mouth once a day.
- You can take Yaz with or without food. If the medication bothers your stomach, try taking it with food.
- Each pack of Yaz contains 28 pills. Be sure to take them in order. Once you finish a pack, start a new pack right away. You will probably get your period during the last few days of the pack or, sometimes, during the first few days of the new pack.
- It is very important to take Yaz every day and at the same time each day. Try to pick a time that will be easy to remember, such as at bedtime. If you have trouble remembering, please talk with your healthcare provider, as missing pills increases your risk of pregnancy.
- Make sure you know exactly what to do if you miss any pills. In some circumstances, you may need to use a backup method of contraception, such as condoms, for seven days.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Yaz will not work if you stop taking it.