What If I Overdose on Metronidazole Vaginal Gel?
It is unclear what exactly to expect from an overdose of this medication. Seek immediate medical attention if you or someone else overdoses on any medication, including metronidazole
What If I Forget to Apply It?
If you forget a dose, apply it as soon as possible, unless it is almost time for your next dose. In this case, simply skip the missed dose and continue with your usual schedule. Try not to miss doses, as this interferes with the effectiveness of the medication.
How Does This Product Work?
This medication contains metronidazole, an antibiotic that kills certain types of bacteria, including those that usually cause bacterial vaginosis
. This allows the normal vaginal "flora" (the bacteria that reside in the vagina) to return to a more normal and healthy balance.
When and How to Use This Vaginal Gel
Some general considerations to keep in mind during treatment with metronidazole vaginal gel include the following:
- Using the enclosed applicator, apply this medication once or twice a day for five days. The box should come with five applicators and instructions for use.
- If you are using it twice a day, you will need to reuse the applicators; wash them in warm, soapy water between uses. If you are using it just once a day, you will have enough applicators and can simply throw them away after use.
- If you are using this medication just once a day, using it at bedtime is usually more convenient, as lying down helps decrease the bothersome "leakage" of the product that often occurs.
- You should not have sex while using metronidazole vaginal gel.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be used as prescribed.