Vaginal Yeast Infections
vaginal tablets are used to treat vaginal yeast infections
. The standard dosage is one tablet inserted vaginally once daily for two weeks. This medication comes with an applicator used to insert the tablets.
Nystatin oral suspension
("nystatin swish and swallow
") is usually used to treat thrush of the mouth and/or esophagus. For babies, a typical dosage would be 2 mL four times daily. Use a dropper to place half of the dose in each side of the mouth, and avoid feeding for 5 to 10 minutes. Some healthcare providers recommended smaller doses, especially for newborns.
For children and adults, a typical dosage is 4 to 6 mL four times daily. Try to keep the suspension in the mouth for as long as possible (and reasonable) before swallowing.
It is important to understand that this medication works directly in contact with the mouth. It does not work like most medications, through the bloodstream. Therefore, simply swallowing the dose (without swishing it or holding it in the mouth) will be ineffective.
For this use, nystatin should be continued for at least 48 hours after the thrush has cleared up.
are used to treat fungal infections of the digestive tract (they should not be used to treat thrush of the mouth or throat). The standard dosage is one or two tablets three times daily, continued for at least 48 hours after the symptoms have resolved.
It is important to understand that nystatin is not significantly absorbed into the bloodstream (it stays in the digestive tract). Therefore, nystatin tablets are effective only for treating fungal infections of the digestive tract.
General Information on Dosing With Nystatin
Some considerations for people taking nystatin include the following:
- Nystatin comes in cream, ointment, powder, tablet, vaginal tablet, and suspension (oral liquid) forms.
- The specific instructions for using this medication will vary, depending mostly on the form of the medication.
- Be sure to shake nystatin oral suspension well before each dose. It is usually recommended to swish the oral suspension well before swallowing it (which is why this product is often referred to as "nystatin swish and swallow").
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed. Be sure to take if for the full amount of time that your healthcare provider recommends, even if the infection seems to have cleared already.
- If you are unsure about anything related to your dosage or nystatin dosing in general, please talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.