Advertisement

Nystatin Overdose

It appears that an overdose of nystatin is unlikely to cause serious problems. An overdose is not likely to cause significant symptoms because the medication is very poorly absorbed into the bloodstream. Since the drug is also unlikely to cause side effects in general, an overdose is not expected to be a significant concern.

Can You Use Too Much Nystatin?

Nystatin is a prescription antifungal medication. Unlike with most medications, an overdose with nystatin is unlikely to cause serious problems. Nevertheless, it is important to seek immediate medical attention if you suspect you (or someone else) may have overdosed on any medication.

Nystatin Overdose Information

Primarily, nystatin is unlikely to cause significant overdose symptoms because it is very poorly absorbed into the bloodstream, even when taken by mouth. Secondly, nystatin is remarkably unlikely to cause side effects in general. As a result, an overdose of nystatin is generally not a significant concern.
However, it should be noted that other factors involved in a nystatin overdose could cause problems. For instance, a child who ingests nystatin ointment could develop problems due to the white petrolatum ("petroleum jelly") contained in the ointment.
There is no specific treatment for an overdose with this medicine, since no serious problems are expected to occur. As a result, treatment (if necessary) would consist of careful monitoring to make sure no problems arise.
Last reviewed by: Kristi Monson, PharmD
Advertisement
6 Quick Tips for Getting Kids to Take Medicine