What Are the Side Effects of Ortho Micronor?
As with any medicine, side effects are possible with Ortho Micronor®
(norethindrone); however, not all women who use the contraceptive will experience side effects. In fact, most women tolerate it quite well. If side effects do occur, in most cases, they are minor and either require no treatment or can easily be treated by you or your healthcare provider. Often, many of the bothersome side effects of Ortho Micronor improve (or go away completely) within the first few months of use.
(This article covers many, but not all, of the possible side effects with Ortho Micronor. Your healthcare provider can discuss a more complete list of Ortho Micronor side effects with you.)
Common Ortho Micronor Side Effects
Ortho Micronor has been studied thoroughly in clinical trials. In these studies, the following Ortho Micronor side effects were commonly reported:
- Menstrual changes (frequent, irregular bleeding is most common, while prolonged or absent bleeding is possible but less likely)
- Breast tenderness
Side Effects With Ortho Micronor to Report
There are a number of side effects with Ortho Micronor that you should report to your healthcare provider. These include, but are not limited to:
- More than 45 days between periods (this may be a sign of pregnancy)
- Severe lower abdominal or back pain (which may be a sign of an ectopic pregnancy, also known as a "tubal" pregnancy, or an ovarian cyst)
- High blood sugar (hyperglycemia)
- Depression or other emotional changes
- Signs of an allergic reaction, including unexplained rash, hives, itching, unexplained swelling, wheezing, or difficulty breathing or swallowing.