When treating weight loss with phendimetrazine, dosing guidelines generally call for a starting dose of 105 mg once daily (30 to 60 minutes before breakfast) or 35 mg two to three times daily (one hour before meals). Phendimetrazine is approved for short-term use (a few weeks) because the body adjusts to the appetite-suppressing properties of the medication and because the drug has the potential to be abused.
Phendimetrazine Dosing: An IntroductionThe dose of phendimetrazine tartrate (Bontril®) that your healthcare provider prescribes will vary, depending on a number of factors, including:
- The particular phendimetrazine product
- Whether you develop bothersome or dangerous side effects of phendimetrazine
- How you respond to the medication
- Other medical conditions you may have
- Other medications you may be currently taking.
As is always the case, do not adjust your dose unless your healthcare provider specifically instructs you to do so.
Phendimetrazine Dosing for Weight LossThe recommended dose of the long-acting phendimetrazine tablets for weight loss is 105 mg once daily, taken 30 to 60 minutes before breakfast. For the short-acting tablets, the recommended dose is phendimetrazine 35 mg two or three times daily, taken one hour before meals. The maximum dose of the long-acting form is 70 mg three times daily.
Phendimetrazine is intended for short-term use only (for just a few weeks). Longer use is unlikely to be effective, as the body adjusts to the appetite-suppressing properties of the drug. Also, phendimetrazine has the potential to be abused (which is another reason why use should be limited to just a few weeks).
General Information on Dosing With PhendimetrazineConsiderations for people taking phendimetrazine include the following:
- The medication comes in the form of a short-acting tablet or a long-acting capsule. The capsules are taken once daily, while the tablets are taken two or three times a day.
- The long-acting capsules should be taken 30 to 60 minutes before breakfast. The short-acting tablets should be taken one hour before meals.
- Phendimetrazine should be combined with an appropriate diet. It is not meant to be used without dieting.
- The tablets may be split in half, but the capsules should not be opened, chewed, or crushed.
- Do not take phendimetrazine more often or in higher doses than prescribed, as this can lead to addiction or dependence.
- For the medication to work properly, it must be taken as prescribed.
- If you are unsure about anything related to phendimetrazine dosing, talk to your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.