Benefits of Vitex
Vitex may have several medicinal properties. This herbal product is claimed to be effective for several conditions, such as treating menstrual disorders, relieving menopause symptoms, and preventing miscarriages. However, there is not enough scientific evidence to prove these claimed benefits of vitex. It is also important to understand that herbs and supplements (including vitex) can be marketed in the United States without any evidence that they are safe or effective.
Vitex (chasteberry) is claimed to be beneficial for a variety of different purposes. Some of the possible benefits include:
- Treating the following conditions:
- Menstrual disorders, including:
- Painful menstrual periods (dysmenorrhea)
- Absent menstrual periods (amenorrhea)
- Irregular bleeding between periods (metrorrhagia)
- Infrequent menstrual periods (oligomenorrhea)
- Frequent menstrual periods (polymenorrhea)
- Premenstrual syndrome (PMS)
- Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD)
- Relieving menopause symptoms
- Preventing miscarriages in women with insufficient progesterone levels
- Increasing breast milk supply
- Decreasing sexual desire in men.
It is important to understand that herbs and supplements can be marketed in the United States without any evidence that they are safe or effective. Some of these claimed vitex benefits are more legitimate than others, although more research is necessary to confirm that vitex is truly effective for most uses (see Does Vitex Work?).